Saintperle

7/12/04

It's OO-ee-OO scary and fun to talk about it, like a monster movie, but when you actually get to see Godzilla on the horizon, it's "Uh-oh" time

[The Homeland Security Department] last week asked the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel to analyze what legal steps would be needed to permit the postponement of the election were an attack to take place. Justice was specifically asked to review a recent letter to Ridge from DeForest B. Soaries Jr., chairman of the newly created U.S. Election Assistance Commission...
Soaries, a Bush appointee who two years ago was an unsuccessful GOP candidate for Congress, wants Ridge to seek emergency legislation from Congress empowering his agency to make such a call. Homeland officials say that as drastic as such proposals sound, they are taking them seriously—along with other possible contingency plans in the event of an election-eve or Election Day attack.


The old joke goes, "I dreamed I was eating a giant marshmallow and when I woke up, my pillow was gone." Hah. But when we actually DO wake up and find the pillow is actually gone, it's not quite so funny.

Everyone is covering the facts of this so well and their points of view range from:

"Absolutely necessary, after all, there are people out there who hate us," to
"What did I tell you, there are people in Washington, DC who hate us."

I lifted the above quote from where it was quoted on Billmon's thoughtful blog "The Whisky Bar," and suggest you, dear reader, click on the headline link and read his commentary. Amazing as it may seem, I think he examines this issue more deeply and widely than I can, so I refer you to his blog.

I can add only one scurrilous thought to the discussion: history, experience (Nixon, Roy Cohn, Iran-Contra, October Surprise), paranoia (see previous reasons), and fiction combine to make me believe this administration is planning such an attack.

And to use Dick Cheney/Karl Rove logic -- there's no evidence to support such a claim, but there's no evidence to REFUTE it.

Link
|

 
eXTReMe Tracker