Saintperle

5/9/08

F * * * the prez campaign -- here's something REALLY important ... The words to the Looney Tunes theme song


It has a name: The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down -- and was written in 1937 by Cliff Friend and Dave Franklin.

The original version contained a verse that led up to the main part of the song, a young man talking about his date with a girl, how they went to an amusement park and "sparked" while riding the carousel:

The merry-go-round broke down
As we went 'round and 'round
Each time 'twould miss
We'd steal a kiss
While the merry-go-round went oom-pah-pah, oom-pah-pah...

The instrumental version of the song became the signature opening and closing credits theme for the Looney Tunes series, always ending with Porky Pig stuttering "Th-th-that's all, folks!"

Different lyrics were in an early cartoon called Daffy Duck and Egghead, that debuted on January 1, 1938. In a show-stopping piece not really connected to the rest of the cartoon's plotline, and with Daffy drawn in a slightly different way than in the rest of the cartoon, Daffy Duck (Mel Blanc) sings this song to the audience while jumping around in his usual way:

My name is Daffy Duck
I worked on a merry-go-round
The job was swell
I did quite well
Till the merry-go-round broke down (Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo! ...)

The guy that worked with me
Was a horse with a lavender eye
Around in whirls we'd wink at girls
Till the merry go round broke down

Up and down
And round it we sped
That dizzy pace
Soon went to my head
Now you know why I'm dizzy
And do the things I do
I am a screw and you'd be too
If the merry go round broke down
If the merry go round broo-o-o-oke down

There were different lyrics (still sung by Mr. Duck) in the animated short Boobs in the Woods.

Oh people call me Daffy
They think that I am goony
Just because I’m happy is
no sign I’m looney tooney

Oh when they say I’m nutsy
It sure gives me a pain
Please pass the ketchup
I think it’s going to rain

Oh you can’t bounce a meatball
Though try with all your might
Turn on the radio I want to fly a kite
Good evening friends


The song showed up more recently several times in Who Framed Roger Rabbit


  • The first time was with Roger Rabbit (Charles Fleischer) who sang it while dancing on top of a bar, scattering shot-glasses and utensils everywhere:

I love to raise some Cain
Believe me it's no strain
It feels so great
To smash a plate
And look, there is no pain... no pain... no pain... [record needle is stuck]

  • Next, it was recited (not sung) by the film's other main character, Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins), accompanied by a carousel that is playing the song, in the climactic sequence of the film. Valiant is trying to distract the villains from harming Roger Rabbit and Jessica Rabbit (Kathleen Turner):

This singin' ain't my line
It's tough to make a rhyme
If I get stuck...
I'm out of luck...
(Jessica) "I'm running out of time!"

  • The last time is in an instrumental over the film's final credits, as Porky (Mel Blanc) repeats his classic:"T-t-t-that's All, Folks!" and then disappears in a cloud of pixie dust from Tinkerbell's magic wand.

************************************






|

 
eXTReMe Tracker