Saintperle

2/14/09

Why would a luxury car use a song about failing circuits and being stranded in the middle of nowhere in their TV commercial?

Lincoln MKS uses a very nice cover* ofSpace Oddity**, the iconic David Bowie song is about Major Tom who "really made the grade" and now is royally screwed, doomed to float alone forever in dark space.

WHY would anyone think the people who are attracted to the song wouldn't know the dark despair told by the lyrics?
And WHO would think that was a good idea?***

Ok, so maybe someone fell madly in love with her voice and style.
Easy enough to do. Wouldn't you?
Who doesn't?
But why that particular song?

If they wanted to trigger the characteristic breath-taking fascination her covers produce, the mystical feeling of jamais vu (I'm THINK I've heard this song before, but it's ...) combined with the lesser-knownpresque vu (Yes, yes -- it's on the tip of my tongue... I DO know it and it's ... hmmm), they could have asked her to do Johnny Be Good or, hell, even The Dovells' Bristol Stomp (actually, I'd LOVE to hear her version of that) but a song about being lost in space due to electrical/mechanical failure? How about "Hot RodLincoln?" -- ANY version****

Might as well do Nervous Norvus' Transfusion or any of the other 50's "dead-in-a-car-crash songs?"

Long story short -- can NOT believe anyone -- even someone in an ad agency -- could believe ANYONE could be moved to buy a Lincoln -- or even accept a ride in one -- after hearing that song.

---------------------------------------
*Chan Marshall aka Cat Power
----------------------------------------
**Ground Control to Major Tom
Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

Ground Control to Major Tom
Commencing countdown, engines on
Check ignition and may God's love be with you

Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five,
Four, Three, Two, One, Liftoff

This is Ground Control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

"This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much she knows"

Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you....

"Here am I floating round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do."
-----------------------------

***The Berlin Cameron Team Detroit Ad Agency

----------------------

****
The original by Charlie Ryan and the Livingston Brothers
or best-known one by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
or Asleep at the Wheel
Hell, even the Jim Varney version from The Beverly Hillbillies Movie

|

 
eXTReMe Tracker