Saintperle

2/15/07

Tim Hardaway -- not in any immediate danger of being offered a Macarthur Grant *

San Francisco Chronicle, February 15, 2007


Retired Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said Wednesday (regarding former NBA player Amaechi coming out about being and having been gay) that he hates gay people, but later said he regretted the remarks.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people," he said while a guest on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket. "I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

*******
Well, it certainly seems like Tim Hardaway is an asshole (and a big one, physically as well as emotionally, too) and the only reason anyone even knows or cares about is because his supreme achievement in the world was (1) to have parents with tall-growing genes, (2) to be able to throw a round ball through a round hoop (from anywhere on the court except when standing still at the foul line), and (3) to push and shove other guys around.

He's made millions playing a game neatly described by a non-basketball-playing character in Jeremy Larner's book: Drive, He Said (later made into a "sort of OK" movie, Jack Nicholson's first stab at directing) as:

"To you it's poetry in motion -- to me it's staying after school in your underwear."

Although, the movie was notable in being the first to ever show black basketball players playing with their (own) visible willies as they fool around in the shower by hanging from the plumbing.

Mr Hardaway seems to be too ignorant or stupid to know that fewer than 50 years ago, EXACTLY the same thing was being said by basketball fans in regard to African-Americans ("I hate n---ers ... I don't like n---ers and I don't like to be around n---ers.")

*************
The article continues:
*******************

... how he would interact with a gay teammate.
"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room."

If he did find out that a teammate was gay, Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be removed from the team.

"Something has to give," Hardaway said. "If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that's upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate."
Amaechi also detailed his life, in his autobiography "Man in the Middle," which was released Wednesday. He hoped his coming out would be a catalyst for intelligent discourse.

"I'm actually tempted to laugh," Amaechi told The Miami Herald. "Finally, someone who is honest. It is ridiculous, absurd, petty, bigoted and shows a lack of empathy that is gargantuan and unfathomable. But it is honest. And it illustrates the problem better than any of the fuzzy language other people have used so far."
Hardaway later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami.

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

**********

These guys are so fucking tough, at least to hear THEM tell it, but scared shitless that someone might look at their weenies in the locker room -- and enjoy it.

In other words, they're terrified that some other man might look at them the way they look at and think of women.

And notice that Mr Hardaway said (no doubt on the advice of someone with a functioning brain) that he "shouldn't haver said" the comment.

Not: "I'm sorry that I have just reinforced the Klansman image of African-Americans as brain-damaged Stepin Fetchit moronic coons. Maybe I should re-examine my own prejudices in light of that."

Not: "Am I an asshole or what? Have any of those guys ever harmed me? Maybe I'm just a stupid baby."

Not anything that would suggest his life amounts to anything more than being able to throw a round ball through a round hole ... but then, maybe that image is what ... nahhh.

*****************************

*(Macarthur Grants, often referred to as "Genius Money")

|

 
eXTReMe Tracker